A Family That Plays Together... Stays Together

Friday, September 25, 2009

Eye Surgery


Yes I had ANOTHER surgery! I think most of you knew I was going in for eye surgery last week, but if not - now you do! 3 years ago I had this exact same surgery on my left eye. I seem to have a problem with my tear ducts getting clogged. Several months ago I started having problems with my right eye. So after a few months (it kept getting worse and more frequent) I went to see the Dr. who performed the 1st surgery. He tried to unclog it in the office -with no luck. So last Thursday 17th I went in to have my eye fixed.

The surgery is called DCR for short and it is done to create a new passageway for your tears to drain. In short they do the following -drill a hole in the side of my nose and insert a tube into my nose and tear duct area in my eye. The tube stays in for a few months (yes in my nose and eye & I can feel it there) and then is removed in the office. After it is all done... No more leaky eyes! Which is nice since it is REALLY annoying to all of the sudden have your eye start gushing water- especially while driving!

As surgeries go this one is fairly minor and not very painful, so that is good. Just annoying! Headaches are the biggest problem for the first couple weeks until the swelling leaves your face and sinuses. I have restrictions for lifting and physical activity for another week. I am starting to get my strength back and today is the first day that I have started to feel a bit more normal in the fact that I don't have a constant headache, and my eye isn't irritated from the tubing in it. The Dr who did the surgery is a Plastic surgeon/Opthamologist (sp?) and is a very talented one for sure! The scar from my first surgery is hardly visible, and I am assuming this one will be as well. I have included some pictures so you can see before and after and the rocky/frankenstein look from the last week.
This is my eye pre-surgery

Taken day of the surgery
Frankenstein- on my way to looking like Rocky

Day the stitches were removed

My eye today
Slimy stuff has to be on the incision for another week

If you look close in this one you can see the clear tubing that is connecting my tear ducts together (at the corner of my eye). I still have some swelling in my face and that might take a month to completely leave, and I can't wear any make up for another week. Overall I think the surgeon did a good job. Now that I have officially had plastic surgery twice - I am relieved I didn't end up looking like Michael Jackson. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jen! if someone didn't know you too well they think Rick was a wife beater. glad things went well and that you don't look like MJ yikes!

    ReplyDelete