I have been very remiss on my blogging lately. I was behind to begin with and then we lost about 2 months worth of photos. To make a long story short - Rick making some changes to iPhoto where we store our photos. So he saved the library made the changes and restored the library only to have the most recent upload from the camera gone. It was a A LOT of photos too! :( Luckily I had uploaded Savannah's pictures to blogger otherwise I would have none of her photos of her birthday. So now I am missing Phoenix's birthday pictures. :( Which I am not happy about since it was his 8th birthday!! So the next few posts will be without pictures.
So since I have no photos of it I'll try to remember it . This year his birthday fell on a friday which happened to be a friday when Rick and Harper were going on a scouting YM camp out. So we decided to Celebrate it a day early. Of course the birthday person in the house always chooses their dinner and the cake to be made. Phoenix chose Bajio for dinner (lime chicken with rice, beans, corn cheese and special sauce in a tortilla) and he chose my least favorite cake.... Rainbow cake. Basically a store bought cake mix and frosting. YUCK! I like homemade. But he was a happy boy to get his dinner and cake! He really wanted star wars stuff for his birthday so he got some fun star wars toys, books, and of course a Yugioh trading card deck. He was pretty happy about that one! Overall it was a fun night and he was a very good sport about celebrating early.
It is really hard for me to believe my little Phoenix is 8! I mean in some ways it has felt like he was 8 for a long time. He is my little "grown up" thinker. He has always been a little adult in some ways that it's hard to remember he is only 8. He loves to read, play games and keep track of sports statistics. He isn't the best athlete, but he sure makes up for it with his enthusiasm. His soccer coach this year told him that he was the most improved player on the team. What he lacks in athletic area he certainly makes up for it in the academic area. He was placed in the gifted program at school (starting in 1st grade) and has done extremely well. Yet he is totally unaware of it - like he has no idea at how smart he is.
He can remember and keep track of things like no one I know, not to mention his vast knowledge of the scriptures. Often times when we are having an FHE lesson Phoenix will correct us if any part of the story is wrong. We have learned that he is almost always right! One time when the missionaries were giving us a lesson they asked if anyone knew the story about so and so (someone in the book of mormon). Of course Phoenix raised his hand and the unsuspecting missionary asked him to tell us the story. I don't think the missionary was expecting a 15 minute story summary! But that is exactly what he did. He told us every little detail he knew and when he was done the Elder didn't have much to add.
Phoenix is such a unique, funny, happy, kind & smart kid. I could go on and on with stories about him... but I won't. I do know this though. He is one special kid that has great things to accomplish on this earth and I am so grateful to be his mom and watch him learn and grow. He continually amazes me and has since the day he was born. Happy 8th Birthday Phoenix!
This is an older picture, but I needed to at least put one of him on here!
No comments:
Post a Comment